Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

You Don't Have to be SAD

Winter blues. Is there such a thing? Have you ever asked yourself why you might be feeling more down during the last few months of the year? I know I have! I thought it was just me but actually, it's a REAL issue called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). I have never been "officially" diagnosed with it, but based on all my symptoms and experiences for years, I know that this is more than likely the case with me.

In this article, you can read a little bit about what SAD is and see a list of symptoms; which include fatigue, depression, and a range of other things. A big factor in SAD is the lack of enough sunlight. As the article points out, Florida residents have fewer people that experience SAD than people in Alaska (given the amount of daylight hours). That's because sunlight helps not only our mood, but our physical well-being. Sunlight helps us get the vitamin D we need; it's very important! In fact, one might consider taking a vitamin D supplement (my doctor recommended one for me years ago and I've been taking one ever since). Additionally, some might consider medication for more severe cases. Talk with your doctor about your symptoms and find a treatment plan that's best for you!

In my case, I do a variety of things to help me deal with some of my more "downer" emotions. More than anything, I try to pray. God is always there to lift my mood and restore me to a better state of mind and being. He also has blessed me with some great family and friends who are there for me to talk to (as well as lighten my mood with humor). Keeping occupied helps too (especially if it's things that you enjoy; like hobbies or talents). Journaling can be very effective too! There are all sorts of things you can do to keep your mood stabilized; including maintaining a good diet rich in vitamins (especially vitamin D) and exercising to fuel your mind with mood boosting endorphins!

Grace and peace to you, my friends! If you struggle like I do, just know that you don't have to be SAD. There are always ways of coping! I have managed to do it for years! I will get through it this year the way I have every year with the help of the many things I mentioned above! If you need support, I'm here for you!! I'm here as your coach and your friend; and I'll keep blogging to inspire, inform, and encourage too! Be infused! God bless you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment