Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

It's an "I Wanna Punch Bob Barker" Kind of Day

I'm sure the title of this post is making you scratch your head a little; unless you totally understand my reference. If you've seen "Happy Gilmore", you already know what I'm talking about lol. It's that classic scene where Happy just can't calm his anger anymore and he completely unleashes on Bob Barker (see video clip;  but be forewarned that there is obviously some violence and a bit of language).

I would like to clarify that I don't actually want to hit Bob Barker (it was once my longtime dream to meet him and be on his show). I don't literally want to hurt or hit him or anyone else. I just simply use that phrase and think of that scene whenever I'm upset. No matter what level of agitation I'm at, it usually helps for some reason. Even though flinging golf clubs, raging, and hitting people wasn't the best venting choice, it did help Happy Gilmore to release all the the things that had been slowly building up throughout the day.

Everyone needs a way to "get their angries out" (constructively). Doing it "the Gilmore way" is NOT recommended. There are LOTS of other ways to process anger without hurting yourself or others. It's not a bad thing to feel angry. After all, anger (such as anger at injustice) is sometimes a good thing. The Bible says in Ephesians 4:26: "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath." In other words, it's about HOW you handle the emotion and not about the emotion itself. Anger is often considered to be a negative thing because more often than not, it's the the precursor for bad choices and behavior. Furthermore, letting anger go unresolved, and have all those accumulating days of sunsets pass by before you let go of it, only makes the anger grow. It poisons you inside. In fact, Master Yoda once said that "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." It really can be a horrible chain reaction. Darth Vader is the example of what happens when that path is taken. His son, however, famously resisted the urge to ultimately give in to his anger which would have turned him to evil as well. Instead, he responded with encouragement, hope, and the desire to see his father ultimately choose to finally do the right thing and not live in that anger prison anymore (if you're not a Star Wars fan, I'm sorry...but you should be lol. Lots of good lessons there and these quotes will pop up in my posts frequently lol! *Jedi hand wave* Watch the movies, you will!).

If you have ever had a "bad day" (and we all have) just remember that you CAN overcome it through Christ! He will give you the strength and grace to deal with whatever it is that is upsetting you so you can put the day behind you and not continue for days, months, or even years. Do whatever you can to get through it a positive way. Take a "time out" and have a quite moment with God. Pray. Take a walk. Work on a hobby. Write. Talk with a friend. Do what you need to do to cool down and regain focus so you can find a peaceful resolution to whatever it is that upset you. For me, that means working in the garage tonight on a new project. I'll think, pray, and paint/sand away until I've processed through my thoughts and feelings. Then, I'll put the issue to rest so that my body can rest too.

GRACE and PEACE to you, my friends! It takes a LOT of those two things to get through those golf club flinging moments of frustration lol. God will help you through it! Be infused! God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment