Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Don't Be Shy! Modify!!

When thinking about the "tip" that I wanted to talk about for the first "tips and tools" Tuesday, I already had something at the forefront of my mind. It may not seem like a big deal, but if you really thing about it, it is! Maybe it's because I tend to be an "all or nothing" black/white type of person, so this is something I have to remind myself of often. That thing is "modification." 

Modification can be an uncomfortable concept because modifying means you're changing something. Change isn't always something that most enjoy, but with the right mindset, it can be a great thing! For me, however, I don't always like that word when it comes to my workouts or my nutrition. Doing different workout moves, adjusting recipes, or anything that isn't "exactly" like what the program says or what someone else is doing tends to bother me! I can't begin to tell you how many times I used to get frustrated with a workout because I couldn't do it like the people in the video. Sometimes, it was because I hadn't learned the moves yet. Other times, it was because I hadn't built up the endurance to keep up or I physically couldn't/shouldn't do what they were doing. In my mind, I had to do everything "right" or I didn't want to do it at all! I figured that messing up or doing it a different way would be a wasted effort and I wouldn't be able to get the results I wanted. This isn't true! 

I have learned over the years that, like one of my teachers used to say, "you've got to adjust and adapt." Everyone is an individual, so modification is NECESSARY to personalize things for yourself! It took me a long time to discover what works for me because everyone tells you what machine you should buy or what workout program to do or what foods to eat. All of these are helpful things that should be taken into consideration, but then adjusted to fit your needs so that you can adapt accordingly. I had to find out the hard way that machines and gadgets are NOT my style. I had an ab rocker, ab roller, elliptical, gazelle, and all sorts of stuff like that before I realized that I am not an equipment person. I get bored and annoyed; working out becomes a chore! Then, I would eventually give up! However, once I figured out that I really liked Team Beachbody DVD workout programs, I had a LOT more success! Great trainers, who create motivating and structured routines that keep you moving along, are what keep me from dreading and avoiding working out! 

Never feel bad if a workout program isn't for you, or if you HAVE to modify some moves. Tailor everything to your needs and what your body can do. Try your hardest and push yourself to do more, but don't go beyond what you KNOW you should. For me, that's keeping an eye on my back, neck, and feet. If there are "jumping" moves, I do the modifications. Sometimes, it still nags at me in the back of my mind and I get upset that I can't do what they're doing. But, I remind myself that my best IS good enough and that as long as I'm giving my all with what I've got (and keeping my heart rate up, which is the main idea) I'm going to do well! Even now, I'm doing Focus T25 and I have to modify a lot of the moves, but I'm having GREAT success anyways because I'm making everything count that I CAN do!

Grace and peace to you, my friends! Be encouraged! :) Whatever you're trying to accomplish, you CAN do it! Do your best and allow God to keep infusing you with the strength to make it through it! Contact me for help in choosing what program will be best for YOU and your needs! God bless you!



2 comments:

  1. I am also having to modify my workouts now. I used to be jumping fool and let me tell you, my body just didn't like it. I'm finally okay with modifying. It's taken me a LONG time to get there, but I'm good and I still get a good workout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I always felt like I was wimping out if I did modifications or that I wasn't good enough if I didn't do it like everyone else. I've made peace with it too and remind myself that it's better to be able to work out with modification than to not work out at all because of injuries.

      Delete